Sunshine Coast Mowers Safety Check List
- Understand all of the components of the machine, and thoroughly read the operation manual.
- Check to make sure that the mower's control system, and safety features are functioning properly.
- Know how to stop the lawn mower engine quickly in the event of an emergency.
- Confirm that the mower's drive belt is set at the proper tension and that it is free of debris.
- Do not remove or disable guards or other safety devices.
- Dress properly for the job. Always wear substantial shoes or safety boots, long pants and close-fitting clothes. Wear heavy work gloves to protect your hands when handling the blades and other items that might be sharp or have nicks or metal burrs on the edges.
- Before you start mowing, clean up the area and clear the lawn of pets and people, especially children.
Operating a Ride-on Lawn Mower
- Fill the tank only when the engine is cold. If you need to refuel before completing a job, turn off the mower and allow the engine to cool.
- Before starting your lawn mower, inspect it for loose belts or other damaged components.
- Always start your mower from the operator's seat. Never start the machine while standing beside it.
- Riding mowers and lawn tractors are one-person machines. Operate from the driver's seat only, keeping both feet on the tractor at all times, and never carry any passengers, especially children.
- Take care not change gears accidentally, which could cause the machine to jerk ahead unexpectedly.
- When operating a ride-on on uneven terrain, use extreme care. Always mow up and down slopes—never across—and avoid sudden starts, stops or turns.
- To prevent tipping, decrease your speed when going down slopes or around sharp corners.
- Maintain a minimum ground speed and make turns wide and gradual.
- Never dismount from or jump off a riding mower or lawn tractor with the engine running. Always observe proper shutdown procedures before dismounting.
- Routinely remove any accumulations of grass, leaves or excessive grease to reduce fire hazard.
For further safety tips, come speak to one of our friendly team members at Mooloolaba or Caloundra.