Having a healthy lawn is something that just about every homeowner aspires for.
There is no greater satisfaction than when your neighbours admire your perfectly groomed turf and comment on how lush and green your grass is looking, it’s the great Aussie dream, is it not?!
But there is more to maintaining a beautiful lawn than just running the mower over it every week - the equipment itself has to be in perfect working condition to make sure you get the best outcome and look.
A mower can quickly turn against you if you don’t look after it properly.
Over time, grass clippings can build up on the underside of the mower deck and above the blades, which can create performance issues and in some cases the spread of lawn disease!
You can even subject your mower to rust if moisture gets trapped against the mower deck, blade, and blade shaft.
The longer you go without cleaning the underside of your mower deck, the harder the build-up of grass will become.
The continual wetting and drying of the grass will create a horrible mess that is rock-hard, and it does not come off easily.
Proper lawn mower maintenance will help your machine run well for years. Whether it’s changing the oil, replacing the lawn mower blades or just cleaning the different parts and attachments to extend the life of your mower.
- Check to make sure the lawn mower blades come to a complete stop five seconds after using. If the blades do not stop within this time frame, it may be time for a service.
- Check the mounting bolts are not loose.
- Inspect the blades for damage, such as rust.
- Sharpen lawn mower blades frequently to maintain the health of your lawn. Brown grass tips may be an indicator it is time to sharpen or replace blades.
- Watch for wear and damage on the grass catcher components, discharge cover and trail shield that could expose moving parts or allow objects to be thrown.
If you own a Honda Mower check out our online parts lists here.